Grading in LionPATH requires a specific set of letter grades to comply with the Penn State Faculty Senate Policy 47-00 on Grading (specifically 47-40 Grading System):
A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, or F
For LionPATH to successfully pull grades from Canvas, you must first create a grading scheme in Canvas with these same letter grades, then you must activate that grading scheme prior to using LionPATH to pull grades from Canvas. If you use the default grading scheme in Canvas, or any other letters (e.g., C-) in a scheme, LionPATH will not successfully pull grades from your course.
Create a Penn State-compatible Grading Scheme
Follow these steps to create a Penn State-compatible Grading Scheme in Canvas.
1. Open your Canvas Course.
2. Click Settings in the Course Navigation Menu.
Settings menu choice
3. Click the Course Details tab.
Course Details Tab
4. Click the Enable course grading scheme checkbox.
Enable Course Grading Scheme Checkbox
5. Click the view grading scheme link.
View Grading Scheme Link
6. Click the manage grading schemes link.
Manage Grading Scheme link
7. Click the +Add grading scheme button.
Add Grading Scheme button
8. Name your grading scheme as desired (e.g., Penn State-compatible Grading Scheme).
Grading Scheme Name Field
9. Modify this scheme so the following letters are in the scheme: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F. Delete the C-, D+, and D- by clicking the X button to the far right of the appropriate letter.
The Delete Button for Deleting a Letter Grade.
10. Your grading scheme should appear similar to the one below at this point:
The Complete Grading Scheme
11. Change the minimum percent value for each letter grade as desired. For example, you may wish to change the minimum for an A from the default 94% to 92%.
12. Click the Save button.
Activate a Penn State-compatible Grading Scheme
1. Click Settings in the Course Navigation Menu.
2. Click the Course Details tab.
3. Click the view grading scheme link.
4. Click the Select Another Scheme link.
Select Another Scheme Link
5. Click your new grading scheme.
Grading Scheme Choice
6. Click the Use This Grading Standard button.
Use This Grading Standard Button
7. Click the Done button.
8. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Update Course Details button.
The Update Course Details Button
Your Penn State-compatible grading scheme is now in effect for the course.
LionPATH cannot pull in any of the following grades from Canvas. They must be entered within LionPATH itself.
● SA (Satisfactory)
● UN (Unsatisfactory)
● NCP (Non-credit Pass)
● NCF (Non-credit Fail)
● W (Withdraw)
● LD (Late Drop)
● R (Research)
● DF (Deferred Grade)
● AUS (Audited, Regular/Satisfactory Attendance)
● AUU (Audited, Unsatisfactory Attendance)
● CRX (Credit by Examination)