The Course Migration Tool enables users to copy all course content to an ANGEL shell duplicate to export to Canvas.
Please note: Course content available to migrate is from spring 2015 to present.
Move ANGEL Courses via Course Migration Tool
1. Log on to ANGEL at http://cms.psu.edu.
2. Under My Toolbox, select Course Migration Tool.
Course Migration Tool link in My Toolbox on the ANGEL Home Page.
3. Choose the course to migrate from the list of your courses under the Select Course section of the Copy Course Tool page.
Select link under Select Course.
4. Select the Select link.
5. You will see a list of course contents. If all course content is listed, scroll to the bottom and click the Copy button to initiate migration. Please note: After a course is copied, only the person who copied it will show up on the course roster and gradebook of the copied course. In addition, the Syllabus, Lessons, and Calendar for the copied course will remain, but Email will not.
Click the Copy button to start migration.
6. A pop-up window will appear explaining that an email will be sent to the email account that is registered in ANGEL when complete, and that the shell will appear in your My Courses Section (referred to as “Nugget” in the image below) once it is finished migrating.
Pop-up window with details about notification email and where the My Courses Nugget will appear once complete.
7. Click the OK button on the pop-up window. Note: The “Please Wait, Working” popup that appears can be ignored and you can still click on the OK button even with this on the screen.
8. If the shell course doesn’t appear to have all the original course’s content, within your My Courses section, move your mouse over this section and a small icon menu will appear. Click on the Refresh icon and your content will appear in the shell course.
9. You can now edit the shell course, if necessary, like any other ANGEL course.
Click on the refresh icon in the My Courses section.
Before migrating to Canvas, it is recommended to “clean up” your ANGEL course first. For more information on how to do pre-migration cleanup for a course, please go to: http://canvas.psu.edu/canvas-at-a-glance/migrating-from-angel/pre-migration-clean-up-in-angel/.
10. When ready to export, select the Manage Tab inside course.
Select Manage Tab inside course.
11. In the middle box titled PSU Data Management, select the Export Console link.
Select the Export Console link
12. Select Canvas Format link.
Select Canvas Format link
13. On the Export Course Content page, select Next at the bottom of the page to export the course.
14. As the course is exported to Canvas, the following message appears:
Please Note: The confirmation email for the course transfer to Canvas will appear in your UCS email. The confirmation email will give the direct Canvas url for the course. The course will appear in the Canvas Dashboard.
Best Practice Recommendation: After your course has finished importing into a Canvas shell, it is a best practice to request an official Canvas master course and copy the course content into the Canvas master course. This ensures that the content and applicable learning tools are properly accessed and used in the actual course.