Moving mail from WebMail to Thunderbird.Note that in the new version of Webmail there is an option to download all of your mail folders into a zip file onto your computer's hard drive. You can then import your Webmail folders into Thunderbird to view your messages. Thunderbird can be downloaded at https://downloads.its.psu.edu
After you have downloaded Thunderbird, follow these steps:
- Go to http://webmail.psu.edu and login
- Click on Manage Folders on the left panel.
- Click on Download Mail.
- This will prompt you for a location to save your mail folder which will be a zip file. Depending on the size of your mail folders, this may take a while.
- On your local machine locate the Mail > Local Folders folder under Thunderbird profile. Information on the Thunderbird profile folder can be found at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
- Unzip the mail folder and copy the contents to the Thunderbird Local Folders folder from step 5.
CAUTION: If you already use Thunderbird for different email account and have some emails stored in it. Instead of directly extracting to Thunderbird Local Mail Folder, extract it to a temporary folder and rename the files. For example, rename Inbox to WebmailInbox so that it won't override your Thunderbird Inbox. Then copy the files to the Thunderbird folder.
Start Thunderbird. You should be able to see your mailbox folders there.