Current stable and final release browser versions are supported for use with ANGEL. Due to the rapid release cycles for certain browsers, there is a greater chance that compatibility issues with websites can occur. If a new browser update introduces an issue, please report it to ANGEL Support. In many cases, simply switching to another browser can resolve most issues. The following web browsers are supported for use with ANGEL on a Windows or Mac OS system:
- Internet Explorer
- Firefox Extended Service Release (ESR)
The following browsers were available at the time of the last service pack (software update) release by Blackboard. These browsers can be considered Certified (fully tested and supported by Blackboard) or Compatible (partially tested but should function properly). Compatible browsers are supported by Blackboard.
|Internet Explorer® 10||Internet Explorer® 9||Internet Explorer® 8||Firefox (Final Channel Release)||Firefox ESR||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Windows® XP (32-bit)||Unsupported||Unsupported||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible|
|Windows Vista® (32-bit)||Unsupported||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified||Compatible|
|Windows Vista (64-bit)||Unsupported||Certified||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatiblw|
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||Certified||Certified||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible|
|Windows 8 (32-bit)||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
|Windows 8 (64-bit)||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
|Safari 6||Safari 5.0||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Firefox ESR||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Mac OSX® 10.5 "Leopard"||Unsupported||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Compatible|
|Mac OSX® 10.6 "Snow Leopard"||Unsupported||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified|
|Mac OSX® 10.7 "Lion"||Certified||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible|
The following browsers and technologies are recommended for mobile devices:
- Safari on iOS
- Chrome on Android
Due to the variety of mobile devices and their technologies, it is difficult to guarantee full functionality for every type of device. It is recommended that high stakes and graded assignments, exams, etc. still be accessed through a PC environment. If you do encounter an issue, please contact ANGEL Support.
The following browsers and technologies are not supported/have been deprecated:
- Internet Explorer 6, 7
- Firefox 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5
- Safari 2.0, 3.x (or any version on Windows)
- Windows XP 64-bit (unlisted)
- Mac OSX 10.3, OSX 10.4
The computer you use to access ANGEL should be configured with the following.
- Hardware: Penn State's ANGEL support does not recommend specific computer hardware configurations. Please check with the department or college of your intended major or the unit you work with for any requirements they may have. You should also confirm that your computer meets or exceeds the requirements for its operating system.
- Operating system:
- Screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or higher
- Internet access through a high-speed connection (DSL, cable, Penn State backbone), or by a modem no slower than 56.6 kbps. Modem users may have a significantly slower experience than high-speed connection users.
Note: The majority of computers in Penn State Student Computing Labs meet or exceed these requirements. Penn State faculty, students, and staff can download free antivirus software provided by the University. For more information, see https://downloads.its.psu.edu/.
If you have a question about the configuration of a computer maintained by or supplied to you by Penn State, please contact your department information technology specialist or the ITS Help Desk (http://css.its.psu.edu/consulting/consult.html).
- Internet Explorer 8 and ANGEL: Issues and Recommendations
- Internet Explorer 9 and ANGEL: Issues and Recommendations
- Safari 5 and ANGEL: Issues and Recommendations