To create a drop box on the course Lessons tab:
- Within the course, select the Lessons tab.
- Select the Add Content link in the toolbar.
- Select the Drop Box link. The drop box editor appears.
Drop box editor
On the Content Tab
- Enter a Title for the drop box (required).
- Optionally enter a Subtitle for the drop box. The subtitle is used to provide additional information concerning the content item.
- Optionally enter text in the Page Text field. You may specify which file formats you will accept, due dates, and any other requirements for the assignment.
On the Access Tab
Drop box Access tab
- User Tracking is an optional setting and is used to track when users view or access the drop box. To track student access, select Students Only from the pull-down menu.
- If users are not allowed to view the content item, select the Do not allow users to view this item check box.
- By default, Viewable By is set to Students. To hide the drop box from students, e.g., if you are creating content that will not be used until later in the course, set Viewable By to users with higher rights, such as Course Editors.
- Optionally specify a Password to restrict access to the drop box.
- Team Access is set to All Teams by default. If you have created course teams, you can optionally restrict access to a particular team or teams by selecting Selected Teams from the pull-down menu, then checking the box next to each desired team.
On the Submission Tab
Drop box Submission tab
- By default, the Max Submissions setting is Unlimited. To restrict the number of possible student submissions, select a number from the pull-down list.
- By default, the Message Box option is enabled to allow students to type a message concerning their submission.
- By default, the Attachments option is enabled to allow student to attach a file to the drop box.
- By default, if the drop box is visible to students, then they can submit to it. You can optionally set a Start Accepting Submissions and/or a Stop Accepting Submissions date. Make sure to select the check box to the left of each date you set. This allows you to control when students can submit assignments while allowing them to see the drop box before or after the dates you specify. Students who view the drop box when you are not accepting submissions will see the message “Submissions are not being accepted at this time.”
Note: You can disable either the message box or attachments option; however, you cannot disable both. If you attempt to do so, a warning message will appear.
On the Review Tab
Drop box Review tab
By default, Normal - users see only their own submissions is selected for the User Review option, allowing users to see only their own submissions. Other options include:
- Peer Review allows all users to see all other submissions.
- Disabled specifies that only course editors can see submissions.
On the Actions Tab
There are no features active on the Actions tab for drop boxes in the Normal settings mode. To view advanced features of the Actions tab, select the Advanced radio button above the tabs.
For more information on the Actions tab, reference the Lesson Item Settings: Actions Tab help topic.
On the Assignment Tab
Drop box Assignment tab
- If you wish the drop box to be a milestone, from the Task Type pull-down menu, select whether the milestone will be marked as complete by the instructor manually (Manually Marked) or automatically by ANGEL when a student has submitted to the drop box (Item Completion). For more information on Milestone Settings, reference the Lesson Item Settings: Common Milestone Settings Fields help topic.
If you wish the drop box to be a gradebook assignment, select the applicable setting from the Assignment pull-down menu. For more information on Gradebook Settings, reference the Lesson Item Settings: Common Gradebook Settings Fields help topic.
Note: For detailed documentation on the course gradebook, reference the Gradebook help category. For best results, do not add any assignments to the course gradebook until you have first gone through the Gradebook Setup Wizard to set up your categories and grading scheme.
If you wish to use a rubric for the assignment, select the rubric you would like to use from the pull-down menu. You can preview the rubric you select by clicking on the Preview button. Additional options are available to display the rubric to students before they submit their assignments and to display the rubric scores to students after they have submitted their assignments.
Note: Rubrics can be created and editing using the Rubric Manager, which is found on the Manage tab. Reference the Rubric Manager help category for detailed documentation.
- Click the Save button when all settings are complete.
Note: For more information and advanced settings, reference the Lessons: Common Editor Settings Tabs help topic.