You may post a course syllabus by filling in information in ANGEL's built-in Syllabus Editor form. To access the Syllabus Editor:
- Within the course, select the Syllabus tab.
Select the Edit Syllabus link in the toolbar. You will be taken to the Syllabus Editor.
Select the Edit Syllabus link.
Fill in the fields as applicable (see details below).
Note: Fields left blank will not appear to the students.
- When finished, click the Save button.
General Information Fields
- Under the General Information subheading, enter a descriptive title for the Course Subtitle (e.g., Introduction to Linguistics).
- Enter some Keywords which describe the content of your course. These will aid the course search engine when users search for your course.
Faculty Information Fields
Under the Faculty Information subheading, enter any contact information your students will need into the appropriate fields.
The E-mail address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) you enter will be converted to an e-mail link.
The Homepage field is intended to be used for an instructor's personal home page on the Web. If you wish to create a link to one, enter a full URL, including the http:// prefix (e.g., http://www.personal.psu.edu/xyz123).
The Photograph URL field allows you to include images on your syllabus.
Notes: The photo file must not be larger than 100,000 bytes (about 100 KB). If you upload file larger than that, a message will display saying "File exceeds maximum allowed size of 100000 bytes." For best results, use a photo no more than 1,000 pixels in height or width.
To add or upload an image:
Click the Add button to the right of the field to open the upload window.
Click Add to the right of Photograph URL to upload a new image.
In the dialogue box that appears, click the Browse button to search for the image file on your local drive.
Note: Avoid using GIF images, because they may be resized and become distorted. JPEG is the safest format.
Click Browse to locate the picture on your local drive.
- Double-click the file name or single-click the file name, then click the Open button.
- Click the Upload Picture button.
- A message will indicate whether the file upload was successful. Click the Use Photo button to upload the photo or Try Again to choose a different file.
- Click the Close button to close the upload window.
- Click the Save button if you are finished entering information in the Syllabus Editor.
Course Information Fields
Fill in information for each field as appropriate. Fields left empty do not appear in student view except for required elements of a Penn State syllabus, which are marked with an asterisk in the Syllabus Editor.
Note: Required elements for a Penn State syllabus are listed at http://www.psu.edu/ufs/policies/43-00.html.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk and the word "Required" in the Syllabus Editor.
If required fields are left blank in the Syllabus Editor, then students will see the message, "To be determined. Please consult your instructor."
Blank required fields, student view
For more information about a specific field (e.g., Grading Policy), click the name of that field to view online help information.
To enter text in longer fields, use the built-in HTML editor. Select the HTML Editor link beneath any multi-line text box. For details, reference the Use the HTML Editor help topic. HTML tags can also be directly typed in a field or copied and pasted from an HTML editor like Dreamweaver.
- When you have filled in the appropriate information, click the Save button at the top or bottom of the page.
The syllabus will appear again with the changes you have made. You can use the Syllabus Editor as often as needed to add or edit information throughout the course.