- Open Thunderbird.
- If this is your first time using Thunderbird it will ask to import settings and mail folders, click Cancel.
- If you do not have an account it will ask to create one....Click Cancel.
- Click Exit.
- On the toolbar click Tools.
- Click Account Settings.
- At the bottom of the screen, click on the arrow to the right of Account Actions.
Click Add Mail Account.
- Enter your First and Last Names
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org, where xyz5000 is your Penn State Access Account user ID
- Password: Enter your Penn State Access Account password
- Click Continue.
- If logged into a PSU network, wait for the application to probe for server information.
- Once probe is done, IMAP should be chosen on screen that appears; if not, you can change that in the next screen.
- Click Manual Config.
- Change Incoming to IMAP.
- Change incoming server hostname to ucs.psu.edu.
- Change SSL to SSL/TLS - port 993.
- Change Authentication for Incoming server by choosing Normal password from the drop down menu.
- Configure your client for authsmtp.psu.edu. Please refer to http://kb.its.psu.edu/node/1674 for details.
- Port should be 587 for authsmtp.
- The remaining fields should be auto-populated with correct information.
- Click Create Account.
- Open your account settings by clicking on Tools, Account Settings...
- Click on Server Settings beneath your email address.
- Click on Advanced.
- Uncheck Show only subscribed folders.
- Click OK.
- Click OK and restart the Thunderbird client.
Service Now Article: KB0010043
Was this helpful?: